Thursday, May 5, 2011

and again, I'm that 1 in the 1 out of (insert # here)

Last Friday, the 29th, at my OB appointment I had to take a glucose test.  I read that these are normally done between 26 and 28 weeks.  I was 26 weeks on Friday.  I failed the test.  Not a huge shocker.  I have PCOS and insulin resistence, so my body doesn't react well with large amounts of glucose - it just doesn't know what to do with it. 

Then, I find out that I will have to take a 2  hour glucose test at the hospital.  Grrrr.  Okay, so I will go and have that nasty sugar water again, then have my blood drawn 5 times in two hours.  Okay, fine.  So, it would appear that even though I've been really careful about gaining weight - and I have gained 9 pounds and am 26w3d pregnant.  I think that's a whole lot - but I know lots of women who have gained WAY more...  So, up until Friday I was pretty proud of myself.  I just keep thinking, why am I the "1" that these statistics talk about.  I'd really rather, just once, be one of the other group... 

So, I was feeling a little discouraged, and then read this today....  "Gestational Diabetes happens because your body has produced excessive amounts of blood to help support the pregnancy but hasn't produced excessive amounts of insulin. It makes me feel a little better.  However, I kept reading and came across this little goodie:

 Gestational Diabetes in the United States

  • Reported rates of gestational diabetes range from 2 to 10 percent of pregnancies.
  • Immediately after pregnancy, 5 to 10 percent of women with gestational diabetes are found to have diabetes, usually type 2.
  • Women who have had gestational diabetes have a 35 to 60 percent chance of developing diabetes in the next 10–20 years.
  • New diagnostic criteria for gestational diabetes will increase the proportion of women diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Using these new diagnostic criteria, an international, multicenter study of gestational diabetes found that 18 percent of the pregnancies were affected by gestational diabetes.
I hate so very much having the internet sometimes.  I wish I wasn't the kind of person who researches things to the ends of the earth.  But, I am...and lots of times that is good.  But, when I'm trying to put my mind at ease...it doesn't always turn out for my good.  So, I'll be scheduling my 2-hour test for someday next week.  I am really praying to pass and not have GD, not because of me, but because of Noah.  There are several risks for him if I have it.  Oh, and not to mention I'll have to prick my own finger at home like 4-5 times a day - blaaaarghhhhh.

Anyway...  not complaining, just needed to vent.  I'm scared that I'm going to hurt Noah, and that makes me nervous.  He is my sweet rainbow and I want all the best for him.  :0)

4 comments:

Tracy Purdy said...

I will pray that you will pass your test. I have two friends that had this during their pregnancies and everything turned out beautifully for babies and mommas! Let me know when you get it scheduled.

Christy said...

I didn't pass my first with little O, but I passed the second. Bring a book and try to relax. You and Noah will be great!!!

Mom in Limbo said...

Two of my friends recently failed the 1-hour test but passed the 2-hour.

Wishing you the same luck!

All will be well.

Becky said...

I'm praying for you and Noah:)